Video di Carmen Canale Daniele Ghisi presenta An experiment with time
By Marta Ceron
The ULYSSES Ensemble consists of 14 musicians: 1 flute, 1 oboe, 1 clarinet, 1 bassoon, 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone, 1 piano, 1 percussion, 2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 double bass.
· Applicants must be born after January 1, 1986
· Applicants must reside in Europe (no travel fees outside Europe can be reimbursed)
· Applicants must be able to speak and understand English
· Applicants selected for the ensemble MUST be available from Monday, April 16 through Wednesday, April 18; from Saturday, June 2 through Monday, June 11; from Monday, June 18 through Saturday, June 30; from Sunday, July 15 through Friday, July 20; from Tuesday, September 4 through Monday, September 10. Every time, musicians arrive the day before and depart the day after. No late arrivals or early departures are permitted. No absences during these periods are permitted.
· Travel fees incurred within Europe, housing expenses (double or triple room depending on the stop), and meals (restaurant, catering, or perdiems depending on the stop) will be paid for applicants selected for the ensemble
· Applicants selected for the ensemble have no registration fees to pay
Monday, April 16 — Wednesday, April 18 and Tuesday, September 4 — Monday, September 10, 2018
Utrecht (Netherlands), Frankfort (Germany)
Educational Advisor: Lucas Vis (conductor)
The Internationale Ensemble Modern Akademie and Gaudeamus invite the ULYSSES Ensemble to join the young musicians from the IEMA- Ensemble of the Internationale Ensemble Modern Akademie to work together on a recent piece by the Swedish composer Anders Hillborg as well as a new work by a composer commissioned by the ULYSSES Network. The ULYSSES Ensemble will also premiere a new work by a composer put forward by the IEMA.
. NN, new work for ensemble (2018) PREMIERE, with the musicians from the IEMA
. Anders Hillborg, Vaporised Tivoli, for ensemble of 21 musicians (2010), with the musicians from the IEMA
. NN, new work for ensemble (2018) PREMIERE
Saturday, June 2 — Monday, June 11, 2018
Bobbio, Trieste, Milan (Italy)
Pedagogical Advisors: Sandro Gorli (conductor), Mauro Lanza, Marco Momi (composers)
The Divertimento Ensemble invites the ULYSSES Ensemble to learn two masterpieces by renowned composers while working side by side with two well-established Italian composers. During rehearsals under the baton of Sandro Gorli, the presence of Mauro Lanza and Marco Momi offers young musicians the chance to take their advice and recommendations.
. Mauro Lanza, Number Nine, for ensemble (2010)
. Györgi Ligeti, Kammerkonzert, for 13 instruments (1969-1970)
. Georg Friedrich Haas, REMIX for 15 instruments (2007)
. Marco Momi, Almost nowhen (new version) (2018) PREMIERE
Monday, June 18 — Saturday, June 30, 2018
First Program with the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
Monday, June 18 — Saturday, June 23, 2018
Educational Advisor: Peter Rundel (conductor), musiciens from the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
This interpretation master class for orchestra offers young musicians from the ULYSSES Ensemble to work alongside musicians from the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, rehearsing and performing sketches written by young composers from the academy as well as Hymnen (Dritte Region), a monumental work elaborated by Stockhausen from 1966 to 1969, introducing the musicians to electronics.
Second Program with the Ensemble intercontemporain
Monday, June 25 — Saturday, June 30, 2018
Educational Advisor: Beat Furrer (conductor), musicians from the Ensemble intercontemporain
The Swiss conductor and composer Beat Furrer will lead a master class for the ULYSSES Ensemble with the complicity of the soloists from the Ensemble intercontemporain who will advise the young musicians and perform works with them.
. Edgard Varèse, Intégrales, for 11 wind instruments and 4 percussionists (1923-1925)
. Helmut Lachenmann, Zwei Gefühle, Musik mit Leonardo, for 2 narrators and ensemble (1992)
. Beat Furrer, Nuun, for 2 pianos and ensemble of 25 instruments (1995-1996)
. Michael Jarrell, Droben Schmettert ein greller Stein, for bass, ensemble, and electronics (2001)
Sunday, July 15 — Friday, July 20, 2018
Abbaye de Royaumont (France)
Educational Advisor: Gregory Vajda (conductor)
(program to be defined)
You must submit 3 audio or video files:
– One file must be a video you briefly introduce yourself and perform a 20th or 21st century solo work for your instrument
– One file must be an audio file or a video you perform a solo “classical music” work (before 20th century) for your instrument
– One file must be an audio or video file of your choice
Other documents to submit:
– Short biography
– Cover Letter where you explain your motivation for joining the ULYSSES ensemble and different stops
– Headshot picture, that will be used for access badge
– ID or Passport
Do not forget to read carefully Consent and Release Form to be accepted.
For any request, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Open from Monday, October 16 until Monday, November 13, 2017 (1pm Paris GMT).
Jury’s selection in December is irrevocable.
Applicants will receive a personal answer by email on Thursday, December 21, 2017